Sweet Potato Tacos
Tacos really are a perfect way to add veggies to your meal. These Sweet Potato Tacos are yet another example of a delicious veggie taco recipe that is sure to please the whole family. If you don’t have a variety of dry herbs and spices, feel free to substitute with a couple of tablespoons of taco seasoning instead.
1 taco = 1 green and 3 yellows
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- Avocado oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Corn or whole wheat tortillas
- Microgreens or cilantro for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place onions in a small bowl and cover with rice vinegar. Make sure all of the onions are submerged. Set aside.
- Mix the taco seasonings in a large bowl and add the sweet potatoes. Drizzle with oil and mix well to evenly coat the sweet potatoes. Transfer to the prepared sheet pan and sprinkle with a little extra salt. Roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, make the avocado crema. Add avocado, sour cream, garlic, lime juice and salt to a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- To serve, quickly char the tortilla over an open flame or heat for 3 minutes in the warm oven. Top tortilla with a big scoop of the avocado crema, sweet potatoes, pickled onions, and microgreens.