Red Lentils with Leeks and Carrots
These lentils are a great side dish at a BBQ, or are deliciously satisfying on their own as a lunch or small dinner for a family of 4. They are so yummy you almost forget how healthy they are!
1 closed fist = 2 greens, 1 yellow
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups sliced leeks, about 2 medium leeks white and light green parts only
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse leeks very well as they tend to be sandy and spin dry.
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium high and add olive oil.
- Add leeks and carrots and cook, stirring often for 7-10 minutes until the leeks have reduced in size by half and are caramelized.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add lentils, 1 1/2 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 7minutes or until water has evaporated and lentils are just tender.
- Remove from heat, season with more salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
- The key to this tasty dish is to let the leeks caramelize so they add a sweet, oniony flavor to the dish.
- Overcooking the lentils will cause them to be mushy.
- Make it into a complete meal by eating alongside a garden salad and/or a lean protein like chicken, fish or grilled tofu.