Healthy Yellow Light Snacks for Kids: Hummus
Hummus is a healthy, tasty, and quick recipe that works great as an afterschool snack for kids… and adults too! Kurbo qualifies hummus sometimes as a yellow and sometimes as a red, depending on the ingredients.
Oil is a sneaky way that different hummus brands add extra calories. The perfect amount of oil will make your hummus creamy and delicious, but not to excess. The easiest way to keep hummus in your healthy snack rotation without stumbling into red light territory is to make it yourself! Homemade hummus is shockingly quick (and just as yummy as store-bought).
Below is the core yellow light hummus recipe favorited by Kurbo, but feel free to experiment and come up with creative variations! Try adding green light foods like blended bell peppers, roasted garlic, or rosemary!
Kurbo’s Yellow Light Healthy Hummus
One thumb of this hummus is one yellow light!
- 1 can garbanzo beans, (15 oz) drained (can also be called chickpeas depending on the brand!)
- 1 clove, garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½-1 teaspoon paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- Parsley, optional
- Place the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, salt, and garlic in a food processor and blend.
- Add the ice water slowly and continue to blend until smooth.
- Taste before adding the paprika or extra salt. You may decide you like a less bold flavor.
- Feel free to adjust the measurements to your palate. If the consistency is thicker than you like, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency. Blend until well-combined.
- You can garnish with parsley and serve with celery sticks, carrots, or homemade whole wheat pita chips!
Serving Size: 2 tablespoons (1 yellow) and 1/2 whole wheat pita bread (1 yellow) and endless veggies (green)!