Cinnamon Oatmeal with Warm Berry Sauce
I love oatmeal for breakfast all year long, especially topped with fresh seasonal berries. These berries are warmed until their juices are bursting through. So yummy! When berries are at their peak, like they are now, they are so sweet and delicious. They make the perfect topping for so much more than oatmeal, like pancakes, waffles, yogurt and ice cream. You can also use frozen berries for this recipe!
Makes 4 servings
1 cupped palm = 1 green light, 1 yellow light
- 2 cups old fashioned quick cooking oats
- 2 cups nonfat milk or dairy-free milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 strawberries, washed and tops removed
- 1 handful blueberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon no sugar added, pure male syrup (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- To a small saucepan add oats, milk and cinnamon and heat over medium until warmed through and creamy, about five minutes. Set aside.
- To another small saucepan add berries, lemon juice, water, syrup and vanilla and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook until reduced by half and syrupy, about seven minutes.
- Divide oatmeal among four bowls and top with warmed berries.