Chickpea Tikka Masala
Coach Brittany reminded me how delicious tikka masala is, especially this time a year as the spices are so warming. Here is a Kurbo friendly version that’s packed with green and yellow lights.
1 closed fist = 2 green, 2 yellows
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped – about 1 cup
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1” piece of ginger, grated
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for serving, optional
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions and bell pepper. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute more until fragrant.
- Transfer to a blender, and add vegetable broth, tomato sauce and yogurt. Puree until smooth. Set sauce aside.
- Heat an additional 1 tablespoon of oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the chickpeas and spices and saute until golden brown for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture to the dutch oven. Bring up to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes until all the flavors come together.
- Stir in half and half and remove from heat.
- Place ½ cup of cooked rice in a shallow bowl or plate. Top with tikka masala, season with salt and pepper, and garnish with cilantro if using.