Chicken and White Bean Soup
As the days start to get a little chillier, soup is always a good idea. This soup uses swiss chard, an ingredient that could easily be swapped with kale or spinach if you have those on hand. The dill and lemon juice give it a nice bright, citrusy flavor. This is a great make ahead dinner!
1 closed fist = 2 greens, 2 yellows
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 large chicken breast, about 1lb
- 4 cups swiss chard, stemmed and chopped
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Drizzle avocado oil in a large soup pot and heat over medium high.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, bay leaf and salt. Saute for 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and chicken breast. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and bay leaf from broth. Discard bayleaf.
- Shred chicken and add back to the broth with the beans and Swiss chard. Heat through for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add dill and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve or refrigerate up to 4 days.