Carrot and Ginger Dumplings in Chili Broth
These yummy dumplings will make you think twice before ordering takeout. They are easier than they look to prepare and make quite the impression on dinner guests. We included a link to a Youtube tutorial to help with forming the dumplings.
Coach tip: Get the kids in on the action! Folding dumplings is a great family activity.
1 wonton with broth = 1 green light, 2 yellow lights
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup pressed extra firm tofu, = 1/4 of a 16oz block of tofu, *see pressing instructions below
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives, divided
- 30 store bought wonton wrappers, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup wonton water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place carrot in foil, tent and bake for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Set aside.
- Add 2 quarts of water to a large pot. Season with salt and bring to a boil.
- To a food processor add cooked carrots, miso, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and salt. Process until well combined. Stir in the chives.
- To make the wontons: Set a small cup of water to the side for dipping your fingers. Put 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of the wonton. Wet the edges of the wonton and fold in half to make a triangle. Carefully press down on the filling to remove any air pockets. Dab both corners of the triangle with wet fingers and bring the corners together. Press down well to seal. Place on a tray or sheet pan. Repeat with the rest of the wonton wrappers. Here’s a helpful video for folding wontons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrjFoOddNk8
- Boil 6-8 at a time for 3 minutes, gently stirring so the wontons don’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a shallow bowl.
- To make the broth, add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk. Pour a couple of tablespoons of broth into each bowl. Top with chives and serve.